Michael Daly

Default Kayak's recomended!

On 15-Apr-2004, Peter Unold wrote:

I'm curious. Could you give us some details on the problems with the
Andromeda? I've noticed that the boat has an exceptional large amount
of rocker. Perhaps that's what Hutchinson considers a romantic boat.

If it has a lot of rocker, I didn't notice it in paddling. That kayak
is very tippy and very unresponsive. I felt like I was sitting inside
a log. If you're going to make a kayak tippy, you've got to give me
something in return - like handling. The Andromeda is one of the lamest
Kayaks I've ever paddled. They made it long, but it isn't particularly
fast. Secondary stability feels like its barely there. Mediocre response
to carving.

Before it was released, Mike Henderson of Current Designs told me about
this great new kayak they were developing. Long and fast, responsive
etc. I looked forward to paddling it and it was a big disappointment.
It took the dealer over a year to sell the one I test paddled. I'm
sure you can find folks who like the Andromeda, but with so many
good kayaks on the market, get something else.

Mike