Dave Van

Default Kayak's recomended!

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
On 14-Apr-2004, (Gene Cosloy) wrote:

Impex
Susquehanna:

Before you get excited about Impex and a few other similar kayaks,
push on the hull with your finger and compare that to other kayaks.
These are lightly built kayaks and that's why the price is lower.

Hi Michael,

I'm curious about Impex kayaks. The Currituck and Assatigue are on my list
of boats to demo (I'm kind of on the fence between these two size-wise). It
would be a days drive to get to a dealer that has demos of these kayaks as
well as others I'm interested in. I have heard good feedback from Impex
owners and others that have tried them out. Have you heard or seen first
hand any failures of the deck layups by this manufacturer? I tend to follow
the old adage "if it doesn't bend a little, it will probably break". What
about the hulls? What's your impression of the layup there? Looking at the
prices on some dealer web sites, the Currituck is $2550 in glass. The
Caribou, Gulfstream, and Slipstream are $2595, The endeavor $2830 and the
Arctic Hawk is just $2200. That doesn't appear to me that the Impex model
is lower in price to the point that it would suggest that they are skimping
on material.

Many of the kayaks I'm interested in are right here in town but the Impex,
which look good in print are far away. I value your opinion so please let
me know if you have seen actual problems with these boats delaminating or
cracking. I'd like to save myself a dissapointing road trip if possible.

Thanks a bunch.

Dave