Bill Rezny

Default PFD Statistics and Mandatory-Wear requirment proposal

Well, I dont't know about insurance issues, but don't like the idea of more
restrictive legislation.....

I used to enjoy the Willamette as my backyard when I lived in Oregon. We'd
swim in the river all day and watch the tubers go down (you know, like the
fat guy in a tube with a three-year-old on his belly heading for the I-5
rapids).

Didn't often see the River Police, but one day I was out in my boat w/o PFD
and was ticketed. Passed the police boat and waved. They motioned me back so
I beat upriver to see what they wanted. Got a lecture on the dangers of
boating without personal flotation. I pointed out the swimmers and tubers in
the same area to no avail. Apparently there is something inherently
dangerous about being in a boat.

Anyway, I got the citation. Seems like a warning would have been in order. I
wasn't a wise guy about the whole thing, and didn't argue about the validity
of the law........

I use PFD and helmet when I think it's prudent. Don't like laws that protect
me from myself. I already have a mother.

Bill (now in NC)