Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Shake and Break Part 13 - August 6 2015

Howdy, peanut gallery

Our STW is available from three sources. All require calibration. All
were, at one time, using a 5 knot SOG in both directions. Up from there
usually had some distortion on the plus side. Down from there usually had
some distortion on the negative side. So, I expect that my STWs are a
best-guess in most cases.

That said, SOG frequently exceeds 8 knots in non-current infected water; we
push a lot of water at that speed and our platform, 2' above the water, is
usually awash on the heeled side. In this case, we were so squatted that a
good half of it was awash.

Block-to-block is a more useful measure; we averaged, for example, 8 knots
from anchor up to anchor down, on the 480 miles from Raccoon (in the
Raggeds) to Ft. Pierce (across from the CG station) on our return in 2011;
it was 60 hours exactly.

On the second trip over this year, we didn't have the same advantage of a
beam reach for the entirety, including the southing we made initially, but
it was still a fast trip, including the 40knot squall, briefly.

I crewed on Sleeper, an OI41, during one of the Morgan Invasion races; we
were doing well over hull speed at the finish, throwing a very impressive
bow wake.

Hull speed is only useful in determining how fast you can go before you're
no longer at a displacement speed.

The time we went from Lucaya to St. Simons Island involved a half-gale,
running wing-and-wing. SOG was 14.3 before we struck the pole and
preventer, due to building seas which might have had us roll to the degree
that one of the boom or pole would catch. At the very best, the GS might
have contributed 4 knots, more likely 3.5, to that.

It's not a speed I'm comfortable with, but it was exciting at the time!

L8R

Skip, calling to make arrangements for the non-covered Medicare (long story,
it kicked in July 1, weeks after her hospitalization) patient's making
monthly payments...

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson