Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] is offline

Default Shake and Break Part 13 - August 6 2015

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 19:48:36 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 05:37:09 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:
On 9/13/2015 9:47 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 14:24:12 -0600, Paul Cassel

I'm guessing that he might have been quoting SOG from a GPS and
getting some boost from the Gulf Stream. My old Cal-34 used to exceed
hull speed under sail fairly frequently however. It's not an absolute
limit, just a point where you need a lot more power to start climbing
the bow wave.

I doubt it. If he were headed north, then yes, but the Stream runs
roughly 90 degrees to the intended course here. I can't see how that can
add to speed made good. Maybe Skip will drop in and clarify.

It's basically simple vector algebra. Assume a speed through the
water of 5 kts on a course of due east. Also assume a north flowing
current of 5 kts. The resultant course made good would be north east
at 7 kts.

You don't actually think Skippy is sitting there the whole time
steering east do you? Nope, Skippy has so much crap aboard that
surely he uses an autopilot. He leaves Florida and sets his AP
to steer to a Great Sal waypoint. His AP corrects for any current
encountered so Skippy doesn't have the first clue as to correcting
for set manually.

--
Sir Gregory