Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] is offline

Default Shake and Break Part 13 - August 6 2015

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 05:37:09 -0600, Paul Cassel wrote:

On 9/13/2015 9:47 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 14:24:12 -0600, Paul Cassel

===

I'm guessing that he might have been quoting SOG from a GPS and
getting some boost from the Gulf Stream. My old Cal-34 used to exceed
hull speed under sail fairly frequently however. It's not an absolute
limit, just a point where you need a lot more power to start climbing
the bow wave.

I doubt it. If he were headed north, then yes, but the Stream runs
roughly 90 degrees to the intended course here. I can't see how that can
add to speed made good. Maybe Skip will drop in and clarify.

Skippy is confused. Always was; always will be.

He apparently has no concept of vector diagrams which,
if drawn for a 150 degree COG and a current setting to
the north of about three to five knots, actually
SUBTRACTS from his speed over the ground though it
will ADD to his speed through the water when
referenced by the old fashioned spinning log in his
hull.

Some folks seem unable to break free of the ground
reference frame and actually exist totally in the water.
This is because they have hearts of lubbers and not of
seamen.

--
Sir Gregory