Randy Hodges

Default PFD Statistics and Mandatory-Wear requirment proposal

One of our local lakes takes an interesting approach. They get
donations from local businesses and such. These businesses donate
free lunches, discounts, free services, and money. They put these gift
certificates or money into 100 envelopes. One of the envelopes has
$1000 in it.

When they see a boat where all the passengers are wearing PFDs, they
go up to the boat and congratulate them and offer to let them pick an
envelope. If they are not wearing PFDs they are chastised and told
that they can qualify next time by wearing their PFDs.

It is actually pretty effective. My neighbor got to pick an envelope
when only 3 were left. The $1,000 was in one of the three but he
chose the wrong one.

Randy