Paul Cassel[_2_] Paul Cassel[_2_] is offline

Default Shake and Break Part 13 - August 6 2015

On 9/12/2015 9:20 AM, Flying Pig wrote:

Heading 150°T, with a resulting COG of 140°T, we were on a beam reach - the
fastest point of sail - and thrilled with our progress. Depending on which
of our speed indicators you believe, we were making 9.8-12.0 knots STW.
Approaching the edge of the Gulf stream meant we had a slight current
against us, but we still averaged more than 7 knots SOG, despite an
apparent
wind of under 10 knots.

Good to hear your MIL is recovered.

That's darned good COG heading while in the Stream. I've never come
close to only a 10 degree deviation.

I doubt you were going either 9.8 or 12 kts. Your hull speed is sqrt
(1.34 *Lwl). Best notation I can figure out to use.

If you have a 40 foot waterline, figure a hull speed of maybe 7.5 kts. I
suppose you can drive a bit faster, but not 2 kts faster much less 4.5
kts faster unless your Morgie has the very rare planing hull.

I don't say this to embarrass you but rather in case you need to
navigate not using that chartplotter and instead rely on dead reckoning.
A rate is part of that calculation and a vital one too.

I suggest you calibrate your knotmeter(s).

Otherwise, nice narrative as usual and good sailing.

-paul

---