Ki Ayker

Default PFD Statistics and Mandatory-Wear requirment proposal

You can play with statistics all you want but if something requires two
measures to make it safe why not be SMART and put in a third. Training,
experience and safe equipment(being used) make for a safe outdoor adventure.

Absolutely! But my question is - just where does one draw the line? It seems
to be a common rally cry in this sport to "always wear your pfd!" I believe
that at least as far as the sport of sea kayaking is concerned this is the
result of misinformation and a general misinterpretation of the statistics. But
to those of you who do believe that the pfd is so important to safety in a sea
kayak that it should always be worn you seem to insist on taking it one step
further and require that everybody must conform to your rules despite the fact
that you cannot produce any significant evidence to support your beliefs.
So what's next? If safety is really the issue here then shouldn't we
consider ALWAYS wearing a helmet as well? What about bulkheads verses airbags?
Paddlefloats, pumps, bailers, VHF radios, Epirbs, drysuits, wetsuits - and the
list goes on and on. Apparently if YOU feel strongly enough about a particular
piece of equipment then all the rest of us are irresponsible, or not as smart
as you, for not relying on it as well. At the very least you will accept that
we disagree, but I will not be invited to paddle with you since my presence
would be allegedly risking the well being of your group. Gee, isn't this
getting awfully close to the same argument that Timmy makes about his sponsons?

BTW, the "YOU" refereed to in this post is intended to be generic in nature
and is NOT pointed at Abe or any other particular individual on the list. I am
simply attempting to explore the other side of the pfd debate.

Scott
So.Cal.