Ki Ayker

Default PFD Statistics and Mandatory-Wear requirment proposal

Someone posted that there are no arguments against seat belts.

Another friend lost his brother in a single motorcycle accident.

Actually, what I said was,

" Pfd's cannot be compared to automobile seatbelts or motorcycle helmets. Both
the seatbelts and motorcycle helmets have been proven to reduce the severity of
injuries and save lives. There is no such evidence regarding pfd's in sea
kayaks,"

which is a far cry from claiming that "there are no arguments against
seatbelts," or motorcycle helmets.
What I AM saying is that I believe that the effectiveness of pfd's in your
typical sea kayaking scenario is greatly over stated. You may quote me on that,
but let's try to get it right this time, shall we? I no more feel that I must
ALWAYS wear my pfd then I do my helmet. Nevertheless I will wear my pfd and my
helmet when I feel it is the prudent choice. If it makes you happy to be fully
expedition equipped for a leisurely harbor paddle in warm protected water, then
knock yourself out. I for one do not feel that need.

Scott
So.Cal.