Randy Hodges

Default PFD Statistics and Mandatory-Wear requirment proposal

Mike,

Good analysis. Thank you for this data. I pretty much agree with your
conclusions. The bottom line is that the ones NOT wearing PFDs are
almost universally yahoos or amateurs.

We don't need more government intrusion in our lives. A better
approach is that we need to try to educate people that wearing a PFD
(at least on most any moderate whitewater) is considered mandatory. I
have been successful in many cases with going up to people and
reminding them that the river is a dangerous place and that they
should be wearing their life vests. Most of them thank me.

Randy