David Walker

Default Camp tent with stove

Lloyd Bowles wrote:

The tipi shape should be fine in summer. I wouldn't want it in winter
though partly because I can imagine snow building up & flattening the sides
at the base. Friends use canvas or nylon/canvas prospector tents with
lightweight woodstoves for winter camping. The nylon/canvas ones are light,
transportable & quite roomy. The all canvas ones are heavier but travel
well on a sled pulled by a snowshoer. Most of the woodstoves were homemade.

Linda ,

Oh contraire - from what I've read about the Kifaru tipi I think winter camping it their strong point and summer camping
their weak point . Thus quite the opposite of what you have suggested . ( I've been toying with getting one of them for a
couple of years and since I have not much desire to be sleeping outside in freezing temps , stove or not , I'm still setting
on the fence about the decision )

While they may also work fine for summer camping , I remain concerned about condensation during the summer months living
where the humidity tends to be rather high in the summer . Maybe ok if the doors are open but with inward leaning doors - if
its raining the doors will most likely be closed . With the result that the ventilation is low to non existent. I'm not quite
sure about the bug issue with a floorless tent .

See :

http://community.webshots.com/album/22633638trtUyoKldg

At the above site there are several other links , on the left side of the page , to additional pictures of the Kifaru tipi
in use in the snow .

http://groups.msn.com/kifaru/shoebox.msnw

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/new...s/1023626.html

http://www.wintercampers.com/gearreviews.html

Hey , its actually snowing in the bottom picture at the above site , well sort of .

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...e.php?id=15438

OTOH -I have no personal first hand experience with these tipis , nor with winter camping which you apparently do with the
systems you have recommended . The mantis is an interesting looking tarp / tent . I had not seen it before so thanks for the
link . As I have been considering also various tarps . Such as the Ray Jardien tarp kit or its likeness - the ready made
golite cave2 .

David