PaddlingPair

Default Camp tent with stove

In article ,
"Lloyd Bowles" wrote:

"PaddlingPair" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm asking again... has anyone out there had experience with the Kifaru
tipis and folding woodstoves? They look like an excellent long trip
shelter and the stove allows heating and cooking.

The tipi shape should be fine in summer. I wouldn't want it in winter
though partly because I can imagine snow building up & flattening the sides
at the base. Friends use canvas or nylon/canvas prospector tents with
lightweight woodstoves for winter camping. The nylon/canvas ones are light,
transportable & quite roomy. The all canvas ones are heavier but travel
well on a sled pulled by a snowshoer. Most of the woodstoves were homemade.

Do any of you camp with floorless shelters?

I've often used a tarp as my only shelter on canoe trips & winter trips &
just ordered the MEC Mantis tarp for 3 season use. See
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...d=679295&PR O
DUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=739165&bmUID=1080357707519
I now use an igloo for winter basecamping, built with the Icebox igloo
maker. See http://www.grandshelters.com/

Lloyd Bowles
www.madcanoeist.4ever.cc

Thanks. I looked at the sites. The MEC Mantis is intriguing. I think we
are going to consider that as an "add-on" shelter for when other are
with us. The igloo maker is fascinating! It reminds me of all my failed
attempts at building igloos as a boy.