Ryan P. Ryan P. is offline

Default Classic '71 40HP Evinrude Troubleshooting Question

On 8/27/2015 7:39 AM, Tim wrote:
Guys, guys. This was a nice congenial boater thread. No need to ruin it. Ryan is asking good questions and should receive good answers.

Now back to Evinrudes. I have heard that the reeds can deteriorate over time. But sometimes they can build up with carbon not allowing them to seal correctly. Regardless, I believe that the reed is on track with the troubleshooting.

I did have my doubts when I saw the majority of the threads in this
group... But so far, the folks actually responding to my questions have
been very helpful.

I'm going to put the old girl in the water and spray some seafoam
directly into the carb while she's running. I know its a 45 year old
motor and the more I research, the more likely it is that the reeds have
deteriorated, but a can of SeaFoam is pretty cheap and easy to try
before I start dismantling the engine.

The rich folk who live on the lake are gonna love my white smoke. lol

Ryan