[email protected] bruceinbangkok@nowhere.org is offline

Default Shake and Break Part 11 - June 2, 2015

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 13:11:38 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:25:47 +0700, wrote:

trim

Ah yes, the voice of experience one supposes.

Given that you mention no authority for your arguments one can only
assume that your utterances are based on your many years of
experience. Perhaps you might entertain us with a history of your
sailing experiences which provided you with all this knowledge?
Perhaps a Whitbread or two? The transatlantic? Maybe an America's Cup?
Or even a Volvo? I have a friend that participated in two of those.

But certainly if not the racing world it must have been the cruising
mode, say an Atlantic crossing or two, maybe even a circumnavigations;
both capes one would expect.

No reason to be modest. Tell us, let us in on your vast breadth of
sailing experience.

Um, in case you never noticed, anchoring is rarely needed when
crossing oceans. It's only around the edges where anchors become
necessary. The more time one spends crossing oceans, the less one
has any use for anchors.

It's coastal cruisers like myself who are the experts at anchoring.
We do those edges. We do it day in and day out and we don't get a
good night's sleep unless we learn how to do it right.

Like I said, two anchors suitable for the conditions on the bottom.
Lay them out Bahamas-style which means a 90 to 120 degree angle
described by the two nylon rodes off the bow. The only chain that
is needed is a short length of stainless steel of six to eight feet
shackled to the anchor stock.

HTH

I see... very limited experience, note that the only voyage described
by the writer is his valiant cruse down the bay and return the next
morning to escape the sound of music, results in a very great
knowledge. It is astonishing how such limited experience can lead to
so much experience. One can only assume the substitution of a fevered
imagination for actual experience.

It might be interesting to consider that in more than ten years of
active cruising among a group of sailors who, to a great extent,
sailed at least 500 miles, and more frequently further, just to get
here, I have never, let me repeat that NEVER, seen anyone use the so
called "Bahamas-style" of two anchors. Never! And, I might add, that
in 20 years of observing the Bugis sailors, perhaps the last group to
have used commercial sailing ships, I never saw them using a two
anchor mooring.
--
Cheers,

Bruce