Jeff Shafer

Default Kayak Tandem/Solo Seat Adjustment Required?

Visit a dealer that sells a variety of tandem kayaks, and compare hull
design and structure. You'll find that there is quite a difference
between manufacturers. When I made this comparison I selected a
Wilderness System Pamlico (15.5' in length). I have paddled this
kayak solo several times, with the front seat slid back to the middle
of the kayak. Very easy to adjust. This kayak handles well as a
single.

Or, if you can't see tandems side by side in person, visit
manufacturers websites and compare dimensions. Or write to the Jersey
Paddler (don't have their website handy). They sell several
manufacturers tandems and they might be willing to offer their advice
on which model handles best solo.

Good Luck,
Jeff Shafer

Cliff Kotnik wrote in message ...
I'm evaluating tandem kayaks for a purchase this spring. I will
sometimes want to paddle solo.

I'm interested in opinions on whether I should look for a model with an
adjustable seat so that solo operation is from the middle or if solo
paddling from the rear seat is just as good.

Thanks,
Cliff