Bill Tuthill

Default Good Kayaking Camera

Michael Daly wrote:

In fact, I wish that I could afford a good 10x zoom digital with
waterproof housing. Until then, I make do with an older 2Mp camera
with 3x zoom.

The Pentax 33WR really lowers the entry price, because previously an
underwater housing cost almost $100, so a good digicam with housing
set you back about $500. Although it can't really be used for scuba
or skin diving, the 33WR costs only $350.

The 33WR is rated JIS grade 7 for waterproofness. According to some
statements on the web, the Pentax WR-90 (an early kayaker favorite)
rated only grade 5, and the Pentax WR-105 rates level 6.

Olympus makes no claims that I can find for water resistance of the
Stylus/Mju 300 and 400. Also I compared several sample photos on
steves-digicam.com and it seems like the 33WR images were sharper
than Stylus 300 images in the corners, and comparable in the center.

Eric Johnson wrote:
I called Pentax and asked specifically about using it the 33WR for
kayaking in sal****er and they said it was NOT within the design specs.
According to Pentax it will probably be OK, but they won't garauntee it.

Several people I know used the Pentax WR-90 for sea kayaking. Provided
they didn't zoom it underwater, and washed it off upon returning, their
cameras survived many trips.