Rick

Default Winter Paddling Question

....stuff deleted

Hello there. I have been paddling for several winters now in below 0C
temperature. I have a dry suit and all the goods. I have a question about
what people do in regards to their skirts freezing to their coaming.

David,

I think you are making a mistake.

....stuff about swimming in Toronto (or other cold winters) deleted

I tend to agree. If you can't roll up, you are in a bad situation. Short of
a hull failure, it is preferable to roll up than to swim. Note that a
successful roll is considerably easier to perform than a re-entry in these
conditions. Also note that native kayakers often were sewed into their boats
(a condition not unlike having the skirt frozen to the boat) because
re-entry was essentially impossible due to exposure. Survival times in 32F
water (31 or so on the ocean) are frighteningly short. Physical control of
the hands begins to degrade almost immediately (often in 20 seconds or
less - frequently during that period where you are still attempting to catch
your breath after the cold hits you in the solar plexus with George Forman
efficiency). While I sort of admire those who paddle in such conditions, I'm
not certain I would enjoy paddling with such a narrow survival envelope.

What do you do to stop it? What is your back-up plan if you run into
trouble with it? I have been trying to work through an emerge plan. I

have
a fairly solid roll but you never know when you are dealing with such

cold
winter so I am trying to figure out a plan for a failed roll. I have a
knife and working out a plan to cut myself out of the skirt if necessary.

....stuff deleted

Cutting that skirt would likely be as fatal as staying in the boat and
repeating the roll attempt. Remember that the conditions that caused the
capsize haven't changed. If you do successfully re-enter, you will be
sitting in a puddle of 32F water in an unstable boat, with hands that
probably can't operate your pump, and the prospect of water flooding the
cockpit at any time. Not a very pleasing situation to be in.

If you can't trust your roll, don't go out in these conditions. A wet exit,
even in an dry or exposure suit, will be a very unpleasant experience. On
the positive side, you may as well paddle alone in this conditions. The odds
of another paddler successfully recovering you from these conditions are
pretty low. The eskimo rescue (which usually takes longer to set up than
paddlers can hold their breath in sub 50F water) is by no means a sure thing
and it also relies up you maintaining muscle control). You might be better
off with a process for adding a floatation device on the end of your paddle
(paddle float or foam floatation) while underwater and using that as a
adjunct to your roll. Either of these rescues are more likely to be
successful than would a wet exit and re-entry, IMO. You won't be buying a
significant amount of safety with additional paddlers around.

Rick