Gary S.

Default Winter Paddling Question

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 05:50:14 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

On 10-Jan-2004, (SWMSGoodman) wrote:

Would vaseline be okay? As long as it is compatible with whatever rubber is in
your skirt? Just a little bead all the way around? Shouldn't freeze and
should stay slick, unless it gums up.

Silicone grease would be safer. If this is a plastic kayak, I could see using it,
but not on a composite.

Vaseline can break down certain materials over time, especially many
types of rubber. Silicone grease or something like Armor All (a slick
rubber protectant spray) would be better choices.

How much ice are we talking about? It would have to be fairly thick to prevent
you from removing the skirt. Pulling the skirt release strap several times
during a paddle should break the ice before it builds up too much.

If the tube isn't too tight, you can get out of the kayak and leave the
skirt behind - though this should be practiced to confirm.

Whatever you want should be tested before a real problem.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA