Michael Daly

Default Winter Paddling Question

On 10-Jan-2004, (SWMSGoodman) wrote:

Would vaseline be okay? As long as it is compatible with whatever rubber is in
your skirt? Just a little bead all the way around? Shouldn't freeze and
should stay slick, unless it gums up.

Silicone grease would be safer. If this is a plastic kayak, I could see using it,
but not on a composite.

How much ice are we talking about? It would have to be fairly thick to prevent
you from removing the skirt. Pulling the skirt release strap several times
during a paddle should break the ice before it builds up too much.

If the tube isn't too tight, you can get out of the kayak and leave the
skirt behind - though this should be practiced to confirm.

Mike