SWMSGoodman

Default Winter Paddling Question

Would vaseline be okay? As long as it is compatible with whatever rubber is in
your skirt? Just a little bead all the way around? Shouldn't freeze and
should stay slick, unless it gums up.

Contact the skirt maker and then try it out in your back yard.

Mike Goodman
High Point, NC

Hello there. I have been paddling for several winters now in below 0C
temperature. I have a dry suit and all the goods. I have a question about
what people do in regards to their skirts freezing to their coaming.

What do you do to stop it? What is your back-up plan if you run into
trouble with it? I have been trying to work through an emerge plan. I have
a fairly solid roll but you never know when you are dealing with such cold
winter so I am trying to figure out a plan for a failed roll. I have a
knife and working out a plan to cut myself out of the skirt if necessary.

Any ideas?

Paddling in Toronto,