Alex McGruer

Default Canoeing across Canada for beginners, by beginners

Darryl Johnson wrote in message m...
magoo_ns wrote in
om:

snip

Yes, I would imagine so too. But in this case, one and a half
time zones have been left out! Terry Fox knew where to start his
cross-Canada trip..St. John's Nfld. I do admit though, that
beginning a paddle trip in Newfoundland would be very problematic.
As far as I know, there's only been one successful NS to NFLD
paddle crossing, that having been done this summer past by a 60+
year old man who not only went solo, but told no one he was doing
it. Yow.

Last summer two of my friends were paddling in Nfld. -- up in the
Northwest corner, up by that Viking site. (I forget the name right
now.)

St Barbes across would be about 15 Nautical miles with a 1.5 to 2 knot
current. Quite doable in an afternoon. I know a couple of people who
have done it. I don't know anyone who paddled over then back.
I have not given Labrador a second thought.
Too much to see within two hours of my home to worry about Labrador
yet.
Now it is a way to put a lot of Canada under your boat before getting
to The St. Laurence.
The whole Newfounland Southern Shore , followed by the south coast
(Magnificent paddling) then a following sea and favourable prevailling
winds up the Great Northern Peninsula. ( Great paddle but I have
seen those waves wash over break waters with no prooblem.) Then Cross
to Forteau Bay or one of the small communities there, If you miss one
there are others. This area is English speeking , usefull for folks
like me. Track down the Quebec southern shore and there are
communities , but that shore has a prevailing onshore wind with a good
fetch.
That would be a good way to start.
You miss NS NB and PEI, but the land mas of all 3 provinces could be
lost under Newfoundland and Labrador. No slight to the more populated
provinces but whan it comes to coastline ,,,, we have a huge one. BC
MAY give us a run for our money if you include the shores of all
related islands.
What a trip. It would take a month and a half to clean Newfoundland.

They were tempted, for about five minutes, to paddle across to
Labrador one afternoon. Only the thought of the currents and their
lack of maritime charts for the Labrador coast deterred them.
(Probably for the best.) But it _is_ a short distance, relatively
speaking.