John Fereira

Default Have it shipped or go get it?

(Nace) wrote in
om:

Finally after a what seemed like forever of shopping and changing my
mind, I have bought a sea kayak. Thank you to everybody who took time
to give opinions, make suggestions, etc etc etc. John Fereira,
especially.

Now the question is... The boat (kevlar Seda Impulse) is in
Deltaville,

Congrats, Nace. I didn't realize that the Impulse was kevlar.

VA, and I'm a 7 1/2 hour drive away in Greer, SC. The
place I bought it from said they'd ship it for $125, which seems kind
of high.

Not especially.

I'm a sucker for a road trip and I have a very nice road
truck so I wouldn't be too adverse to driving up and bringing it back
myself, especially if I can get somebody to ride up with me. I hear
alot of, "Ah, that's stupid to drive that far, have it shipped"

When I bought a used whitewater boat a few years ago I posted an ad on a
university electronic bulletin board offering $50 to someone that might be
driving from that direction to pick it up and deliver it. It got here safe
and sound.

and
"80% of composite sea kayaks are damaged in shipment, bringing it back
yourself is the smart thing to do."

How do you suppose kayak retailers get their kayaks? They're shipped in
trucks. Some of them *do* get damaged but if it was 80% kayak retailers
wouldn't be able to stay in business.

The man at the boat shop seems plenty experienced & competent enough
so I would trust him as far as the packing job he would do, and the
shipping arrangements he would make, but he seemed happy when I said I
might drive up and get the boat, so that makes me even more inclined
to go get it.

What do you think?

I'd probably take the road trip.