Brian Nystrom

Default Winter vs Summer

Drew Cutter wrote:
I live in the great lake area. The sleeping bag concern me because of
its bulk.

A compression stuff sack will take care of much of that issue.

Do I carry more water for hydration?

It depends on what you have available. A water filter can help reduce
the amount you have to carry, but only if the temps are above freezing.
Snow and ice can be melted, if necessary. I don't typically drink as
much in the winter as in summer, but only because I usually sweat less.

Also my winter jacket when and if I'm spending the night on a island.

You need both insulation and shell gear. However, some garments can
serve double duty. For example, you could also consider carrying a parka
and matching foot sack, rather than a parka plus a full sleeping bag.

The tent would have to be a 4 seasons tent.

True, but that doesn't mean a huge increase in bulk.

I would imagine the length of time I can be out is limited , Less room for a week stay out.

The limiting factor is space to carry food and water, plus your
tolerance for being out in the cold.

I been ready the article in sea
kayak magazine (summer trip packing )to get an i idea of what i might be
running into . So i need more hints on what can or can't pack. My boat
has 7' of storage space.

That sounds small. What kind of boat is it?