John Fereira

Default What is "Lay-Up?"

(two_k2003) wrote in news:836efb4c.0312090713.5304ef51
@posting.google.com:

Hi All -

I occasionally come across the phrase "lay-up" when I read about
kayak construction - usually having to do with fiberglass boats.

Typically it is in the context of problems having to do with a
particular boat's "lay-up".

Could someone please define that term for me?
And what are the usual problems associated with it?

"Lay-up" refers to how the boat is constructed and typically describes the
materials used on a composite boat (fiberglass, kevlar, carbon fiber, etc)
but it's also used to differentiate a composite boat from a plastic boat.

Specifically it might refer to the type of cloth used, the "weight" of the
cloth, and how many layers are used (and where they're placed).

Often you'll see the term to describe different versions of the same model.
For example, a boat may be available in a "racing layup" (very light),
"standard layup" (medium weight), or "expedition layup". An boat with an
expedition layup might use heavier weight cloth and have reinforcements
along the keel line, possibly with a different material (i.e. Diolen).

As far as problem associated with a particular layup, boats with a heavy
layup are just that; heavy, but possibly more durable. A boat with a light
layup would be easy to carry but might need ot be treated with "kids
gloves" to avoid damage to the hull. A kevlar layup might produce a boat
that is light *and* durable, but also more expensive.