Dave Van

Default Deck Compass Recommendations

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
On 7-Nov-2003, Dave Van wrote:

But aren't there some compasses that have a separate mounting
plate that the compass then attaches to?

There are several. The only brand I remember ('cause I own one)
is the Brunton (70UN and 70UNE - the latter being the illuminated
version). There is a similar compass from another company. The
Brunton is pricy, but as Brian says, it's good (the 70UN is the
hand/deck mount version of the 70P).

The only complaint I have with this compass is that it sits high
on the deck. I really like the fact that I can take it in hand
and do sightings on references and get bearings to assist in
position determination.

The Ritchie Kayaker compass has a twist-off feature. I assume
this means that it can be removed and remounted on other kayaks.
This is also an excellent compass.

Mike

Well there you go... It sure seemed nuts to be forced to buy a separate
compass for each boat.