Ki Ayker

Default how to get back on an ocean kayak?

Actually the most common method of getting back onto a SOT is to "swim" your
chest up and over the seat from the side of the boat. Then you simply roll over
so you are seated in the boat side saddled, with both legs hanging off the same
side of the boat. From there it is a very simple matter to twist and throw your
legs back up onto the boat.
Most people are able to easily accomplish this technique with some practice.
However, some people have problems with it. Really overweight folks and people
with poor upper body strength for example. So the key here is to practice
BEFORE you need it, and to continue practicing on a regular basis so that it
becomes second nature and you don't have to think/worry about it. You needn't
practice in the gator infested waters. Find a local swimming hole, or even a
neighbors pool to practice in.
Now I don't paddle in gator water, but I just got back from visiting some
friends in Australia who told me stories of crocodiles coming out of the water
and taking paddlers right off of their SOT's. I was not able to actually verify
the stories (and we all know how them Aussies love to tell stories :-) but I
might rethink the SOT for paddling in gator territory. Then again, I think I'll
just stick with the west coast of North America and let you guys sweat the big
lizards :-))

Scott
So.Cal.