Paul Cassel[_2_] Paul Cassel[_2_] is offline

Default Shake and Break Part 10

On 6/4/2015 6:20 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 06:00:10 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

A friend of a friend was designing a "dream boat" which would be
completely computer controlled. We finally convinced him that it was a
poor idea and then the oil business went to hell and he didn't have a
job any more so the project ended :-)

Re big sail boats. I was aboard a two masted Maine schooner that was
built in the early 1900's. Apparently it had been in the lumber trade
originally hauling sawed lumber from Maine to Boston. The original
crew size was said to be five men.
--

Those old timers must have really worked. The old fishing schooners
were, by some standards, short handed and they sailed during abominable

Then again, I suppose these folks had heat below decks from coal stoves
which I didn't. My first boat had a coal stove which was better than
nothing but when I was sailing in the New England area it was a
different boat with no mobile heat. It did have a terrific reverse cycle
heat pump but shore power only.

Still, these guys had no power other than muscle and winch yet handled
gaff rig schooners with canvas sails, sisal lines and so forth. I'm in awe.

---