[email protected] bruceinbangkok@nowhere.org is offline

Default Shake and Break Part 10

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 06:00:10 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

On 6/3/2015 6:35 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

I felt for the guy. I put in at Little Harbor in Newport so have some
idea of what they charge. He had them build his dream boat and it never
worked. Never.

Dream boat = nightmare boat, especially when the eyes
are bigger than the stomach and the dream is based upon
magazine articles and/or other forms of mass ignorance.

It was a nightmare but I understood that at the price he paid LH for a
keel up custom boat he had reasonable expectation of good engineering,
good production and therefore a good result.

I crewed on an 85' sailing yacht which was enormously complex but
engineered / designed for easy access to all systems. So when things
went awry, which wasn't that common, they were easily, quickly and
cheaply addressed.

That's proper design.

-paul

A friend of a friend was designing a "dream boat" which would be
completely computer controlled. We finally convinced him that it was a
poor idea and then the oil business went to hell and he didn't have a
job any more so the project ended :-)

Re big sail boats. I was aboard a two masted Maine schooner that was
built in the early 1900's. Apparently it had been in the lumber trade
originally hauling sawed lumber from Maine to Boston. The original
crew size was said to be five men.
--
Cheers,

Bruce