Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] is offline

Default Shake and Break Part 10

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 18:21:49 -0600, Paul Cassel wrote:
On 6/3/2015 11:20 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
Complexity of systems tends to increase exponentially with the size of
the boat, and that inevitably leads to increased maintenance
requirements. The right way to increase complexity however is to
build in some redundancy at the same time so that it's not necessary
to have everything 100% operational at all times. The alternative is
to go with the minimalist approach and forgo modern conveniences like
refrigeration and air conditioning.

This thing went way beyond that. When I toured the boat, the
electrically operated centerboard wasn't operational. Turned out marine
growth in the box had jammed it half down. So he couldn't sail well nor
could he use the boat with the engine per his desire to hang out in the
Bahamas. I met him at Rybovich in Palm Beach. He wasn't thrilled with
his new boat.

I felt for the guy. I put in at Little Harbor in Newport so have some
idea of what they charge. He had them build his dream boat and it never
worked. Never.

Dream boat = nightmare boat, especially when the eyes
are bigger than the stomach and the dream is based upon
magazine articles and/or other forms of mass ignorance.

--
Sir Gregory