Paul Cassel[_2_] Paul Cassel[_2_] is offline

Default Shake and Break Part 10

On 6/3/2015 5:27 PM, wrote:

===

Complexity of systems tends to increase exponentially with the size of
the boat, and that inevitably leads to increased maintenance
requirements. The right way to increase complexity however is to
build in some redundancy at the same time so that it's not necessary
to have everything 100% operational at all times. The alternative is
to go with the minimalist approach and forgo modern conveniences like
refrigeration and air conditioning.

Many years ago my wife and I used to "cruise" the coast of Maine in a
Muscongus Bay (often referred to as a Friendship) Sloop. We had a one
burner kerosene stove, water out of a "jerry can", and a magnetic
compass for navigation.

I don't remember ever having a "break-down".

We had a similar. We did have a propane stove / oven but kerosene
lanterns, a coal / charcoal stove and that was about it for tech. We did
have misery with the Volvo diesel aux but that was not frustrating as, I
suppose having basic system break. We did have only a short while for
cold due to an icebox but we managed on beans, eggs and dry foods mostly.

Wasn't a bad life.

-paul

---