lcopps

Default gps

I find Bluecharts helpful. They have depth soundings which could help in
the estuaries. Topo maps help in the marshes where you can get lost real
easy. However I find myself using Bluecharts to find a passage through
the shoals. I normally plot my most desired route on the PC then
download it. I use the speedometer often to get a feeling for the speed
of the currents, and how I do against them. I live near the Atlantic,
and the currents can have you standing still at times. You will never
know without a GPS, or when you realize you have not gone anywhere in a
while.

Vineet Buch wrote:

I use my Garmin GPSMap 76S for ultralight backpacking, backcountry
snowshoeing and sea kayaking and am very happy with it. It's packed
with features, very durable (broke my fall on granite but kept on
ticking!), reasonably light, floats and is waterproof - although I had
some water seep in through unseen cracks in the faceplate and Garmin
replaced the unit, after which I started using a waterproof case.

The maps supplied by GPS vendors are useless for backcountry use,
whether hiking or snowshoeing. I confirmed with Garmin that the USGS
only makes 1:100,000 maps available in a digital vector format, and
that's the scale of the maps Garmin and Magellan supply. You really
need 1:24,000 (7.5' quad resolution) in the backcountry.

I chart my routes using Topo! software and download waypoints to my
GPS, but do not use other GPS map features.
VB

lcopps wrote in message thlink.net...

I have an Garmin Etrex Vista. Great little unit. Being much smaller than
the 76, it might be more suitable for biking. I use it with a RAM mount
which are much better than Garmin's. It also works great for kayaking.
You might also look at the Etrex Legend.

Jack Seppelt wrote:

I have been paddling a seakayak for about a year and have decided to
purchase a GPS (also to be used for biking and hiking). Most of my current
paddling has been on the upper Mississippi River although I plan to expand
this in the next few years. I am current using the Upper Mississippi River
Navigation Charts produced by the Corps of Engineers for trip planning and
navigation.

I would appreciate any advise, experiences, or links that you might have to
offer. I have narrowed my choices to the Garmin Map76s and the Magellan
Meridian Platinum although I would welcome comment on any other models that
you might have some experience with. I would also be interested in opinions
of the Garmin maps vs. the Magellan maps and which might be most appropriate
for these kinds of activities.

Thank you very much.

Jack