Pool

Default gps

I have purchased about 5 Garmins over time and can strongly recommend them.
However, the model you mentioned seems a bit overkill for your river needs.
If you got something in the $100-$200 range you could use the saved money
for a new paddle.

What you don't need:
Compass: a $20 Sunnto works just fine and doesn't need batteries
Altimeter: This is marketing spin - all GPS's have Elevation via the same
satellites that give position. And they are not influenced by barometric
variation. In fact, the inaccuracy of the barometric altimeter is a
"feature" because it can tell you if a high or low front is moving in.

What I use most is "Where Am I?" or Where have I gone. Any standard GPS with
tracking will give that. Also, the times of Sunrise and Sunset are useful -
they are also standard. Having a map overlay is a nice feature but you don't
have to go up to the MapGPS 76S to get that.

I also recommend you find a few geocaches. See www.geocaching.com People
hide caches and publish the way points - using your GPS you try to find them
and exchange trinkets in the cache. It's a great way to learn how to use the
features of your unit.

Finally - understand the difference in Map Datum. Your GPS is defaulted to
WGS84. Most Topo Maps are based on NAD27. Because you are on the River, I'll
assume you will be using your GPS with a Topological Map rather than a
Chart. Because topo Map points are based on NAD27, if you enter them into a
GPS whose datum is set to WGS84 (or NAD83), when you arrive at the point,
you won't be at the same point you were looking at on the map - you may a
few hundred yards off. So of you are entering points taken from a topo map
into your GPS, be sure to switch your Map Datum preference to NAD27 first.

After the points are entered, you can switch back to the default WGS84
(which is want charts use) and the point values will be automatically
converted to new values for you.

Pool

in article , seldom_seen at
wrote on 9/20/03 6:30 PM:

*Heartily* recommend the GPSMAP 76s- lots of features and tough as
nails. Don't know anything about the Meridian.

Pete

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:54:44 GMT, "Jack Seppelt"
wrote:

I have been paddling a seakayak for about a year and have decided to
purchase a GPS (also to be used for biking and hiking). Most of my current
paddling has been on the upper Mississippi River although I plan to expand
this in the next few years. I am current using the Upper Mississippi River
Navigation Charts produced by the Corps of Engineers for trip planning and
navigation.

I would appreciate any advise, experiences, or links that you might have to
offer. I have narrowed my choices to the Garmin Map76s and the Magellan
Meridian Platinum although I would welcome comment on any other models that
you might have some experience with. I would also be interested in opinions
of the Garmin maps vs. the Magellan maps and which might be most appropriate
for these kinds of activities.

Thank you very much.

Jack