John Buffett

Default gps

Try posting and/or lurking in sci.geo.satellite-nav

--------
" 'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving
through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get to
the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house
that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it."
Ellen Goodman
--------

http://www.greatriv.org/vs.htm
Not my site but I like it.
Jack Seppelt wrote in message
I have been paddling a seakayak for about a year and have decided to
purchase a GPS (also to be used for biking and hiking). Most of my

current
paddling has been on the upper Mississippi River although I plan to expand
this in the next few years. I am current using the Upper Mississippi

River
Navigation Charts produced by the Corps of Engineers for trip planning and
navigation.

I would appreciate any advise, experiences, or links that you might have

offer. I have narrowed my choices to the Garmin Map76s and the Magellan
Meridian Platinum although I would welcome comment on any other models

that
you might have some experience with. I would also be interested in

opinions
of the Garmin maps vs. the Magellan maps and which might be most

appropriate
for these kinds of activities.

Thank you very much.

Jack