Ki Ayker

Default British versus American designs.

There is a pretty broad spectrum of boats that fall under the heading of

Greenland
kayaks, but there are a few things that most share, hard chines, upswept ends
with substantial overhangs, low flat decks that require paddling with straight
legs and
skin-on-frame construction. For the most part, they fit the paddler very
closely,
with East Greenland boats being one major exception. North American boats vary
even
more

Again, there's not that much Greenland influence in most British

boats.Upturned
ends do not make a boat "Greenlandic".

Simply for the sake of discussion I thought it might be fun to explore this
a bit further. I have never seen any actual definitions as to what exactly
makes one boat a Greenland style and what makes another an Alaskan style. So
for most of us I think when we talk about such design traits we are speaking in
fairly broad generalizations.
As far as the generalizations go, Greenland boats tend to have finer ends,
upswept ends, substantial overhangs, lower decks resulting in lower volume
boats, hard chines with "V" bottoms and tiny little cockpits. The Alaskan, or
North American designs lean towards plumb more blunt ends, higher decks
resulting in higher volume boats, multi chine more rounded hulls and larger
roomier cockpits.
As I stated earlier, these are fairly gross generalizations which leave much
room for nit picking. What actually makes a boat lean more towards a Greenland
style or a North American one can be a matter of subjective degree. Technically
speaking it would not be incorrect to call a baidarka built by a paddling
enthusiast who lives in Greenland a "Greenland" boat. However, when we refer to
such boats we are generally speaking of the influence of their design rather
then where they were actually constructed.
I personally consider most British boats to have a Greenland influence to
them. British boats generally have the fine upturned ends, lower volume, "V"ed
hull and tiny cockpits which typify the Greenland design. However, like Brian
said, as time goes by the lines have a tendency to become increasingly blurred.
Frankly, while I think such discussions are fun and interesting, I don't
really believe that being able to categorize modern recreational kayaks is all
that important. Attempting to understand the various design elements involved,
on the other hand, can be very useful to today's paddling enthusiasts.

Scott
So.Cal.