Blankibr

Default Wetsuits vs. drysuits

I think the answer really comes down to what works for you. Not just what you
prefer, but what WORKS. If you own a wetsuit, get some protection, like
someone ready to rescue you and a place to warm up, then test your cold weather
clothing by trying a capsize, roll, blow the roll and do a rescue.

If you find you are not able to do the rescue because the cold is too much,
then you need a drysuit. I did this at the CPA cold water clinic a few years
ago and purchased a drysuit. I was able to do several rescues after several
rolls, but I knew I would be more comfortable in the drysuit.

When paddling in Maine last year, my two experienced, fellow paddlers wore
wetsuits and I wore my drysuit. I think I was the more comfortable (and less
smelly) of the three. When one tried doing rolls and rescues there, he decared
a farmer john was not sufficient protection in that cold water.

Brian Blankinship