doug m

Default Wetsuits vs. drysuits

I own both and have used both for a number of years. My question is:
"Was the drysuit necessary, or did I fall for the 'sports marketing' hype?"

Have not resolved the question in my own mind yet.

When I was paddling white water boats, I used a full wetsuit and took
many swims in icy Adirondack rivers just after break-up. According to
drysuit proponents, wetsuits are not "good enough" protection for 32-34
degree water, and yet I'm still here and don't recall being especially
uncomfortable in wetsuit during these adventures.

Have swum a few times with the drysuit (once in Glacier Bay with a few
bergy bits floating around...probably also about 32 degrees), but by
choice, never dumped. Likewise, don't recall being too uncomfortable.

So, if the point of either wetsuit or drysuit is to survive cold water
immersion when kayaking/canoeing, can anyone cite examples of deaths
attributable to properly selected and worn wetsuits and drysuits? Have
found credible news stories of one kayaker death in unzipped drysuit,
but no accounts of fatalities for healthy paddler wearing a wetsuit.

Any input?

Thanks and good paddling,
doug m