Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Shake and Break, part 9

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message

It turns out that most gas stations will accept waste oil, resolving that
conundrum. We're not quite brave enough to do as some cruisers have, and
as
the US military does quite regularly, and that's recycle it in the diesel
fuel. It's basically filtered, dirty oil, and diesels will run on nearly
anything, recycled chinese restaurant oil, among them, or french-fryer oil,
fish fryer oil, and the like. Still, with a water cooled exhaust I'd worry
about what sort of accumulations might occur, so we recycle ashore.

Perhaps it is a little "picky" but the idea that since a diesel will

run on about any fuel - I believe that the original "diesel" engine
was built to run on powdered coal - can be a bit deceiving in that
while the engine will run on about anything the injection pump is a
high pressure piston pump (in the older designs) and that pump will
not stand a lot of abuse. As an example: Way back when the Indonesian
government subsidized kerosene as a cooking stove fuel many truckers
found that their diesel trucks ran very well on kerosene... But
kerosene is a extremely poor lubricant and in about a year all those
canny truckers were replacing their injection pumps :-)

I suggest that for the price it is better to run a diesel engine on

clean, filtered, diesel fuel.

Or perhaps budget for an injection pump replacement every year or so

:-)

--
cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

As you saw, that's what I do run on, in fact.

However, Larry Butler (larryw4csc) has run his diesel van and car on
recycled Chinese food oil for at least 8 years.

His van is the pickup, another is responsible for the storage/filtering
facility, and and a third handles all the paperwork. The restaurants used
to have to pay to have it hauled away; they're delighted to have it taken
for free, in the same plastic jugs it came in.

But I'll not be putting our oil down the tank, nor using anything other than
normal pump fuel which will be well filtered by our polishing system.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson