Dave Van

Default Breath Control

in article , John Fereira at
wrote on 8/30/03 7:21 AM:

"Paula Johnson" wrote in
:

I am a new paddler, and really want to learn to roll. I'm mostly
comfortable with submersion when wearing nose clips - but how to you
get comfortable with a nose full of water? I hate getting water up my
nose, and I think this fear is holding me back from being comfortable
upside down under my boat, which is where I want to learn to spend time
calmly. What helps one get over this fear?

Nose plugs help. I use the kind that has a stiff metal wire with a couple
of pieces of molded plastic on each end.

Coincidently, the most recent issue of Seakayaker magazine has an article on
breath control exercises.

It's not un-natural to feel uncomfortable under water. Or even just near
water. It's not a place where humans were meant to be.

Maybe it's because I've been a "swimmer" since infanthood or maybe it's
because I'm a Cancer, but I've always been able to spend time under water
without it bothering my nose. Water does get into my nose but I've always
been able to flex certain muscles to prevent it from making its way into my
sinus openings. It is at that point that the water causes discomfort or
pain for people and in turn, a little fear and sometimes panic.

If you can learn to control those muscles, you should be able to calm down
and remain inverted under water while learing your technique. When you
successfully complete your roll (how did you manage learning a controlled
wet exit with this problem/fear?) remember to exhale through your nose to
clear out water that may be in there before taking your next breath or you
might suck the water in.

Have fun.

Dave