John Fereira

Default Breath Control

"Paula Johnson" wrote in
:

I am a new paddler, and really want to learn to roll. I'm mostly
comfortable with submersion when wearing nose clips - but how to you
get comfortable with a nose full of water? I hate getting water up my
nose, and I think this fear is holding me back from being comfortable
upside down under my boat, which is where I want to learn to spend time
calmly. What helps one get over this fear?

Nose plugs help. I use the kind that has a stiff metal wire with a couple
of pieces of molded plastic on each end.

Coincidently, the most recent issue of Seakayaker magazine has an article on
breath control exercises.