Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Shake and Break, part 3

Hi, Bruce,

Yes, but :-)

From your description you seem to have an "all dancing, all singing",

nav system. Doesn't your GPS positioning system tell you all that?

No. Or if it does, I've not discovered that secret yet. I use it like dead
reckoning - estimates in my head. I get heading and COG and SOG, but
nothing fancier than that and the wind which shows analog apparent and
numeric velocity - no calculation for true wind, either.

A car water pump is a centrifugal pump :-)

I suspected as much

What I used is similar to

http://www.acepumps.com/en/index.php...ducts/C6/Belt/
gives an indication of the installation.

But, it is not a simple "bolt on" modification as it requires a spare

sheave on a drive pulley somewhere and a mount which is attached to
the engine, and might well not "fit" some installations.

Interesting. It would take some doing to match it up to, and enable
tightening, our pulley. As it happens, I have a PTO stub and a 3-sheave
pulley, removed during the refrigeration change (they had one of the old
Tecumseh pumps and AC split cold plates system)...

Are they rebuildable?

Another point is that a centrifugal pump is not self priming so the

pump must be below the source water level. However, for long term
service is certainly was more effective than the rubber impeller type
although the rubber impeller pump is self priming.

No problem on our boat; the mounting point would be below the outlet, let
alone the top, where the water line is, of our filter housing.

A solution I've seen that works with apparent success and completely

eliminates the raw water pump is the use of a keel cooler which, if I
were building a new boat I believe that I would look at very closely.

I've seen them used on fishing boats where the "cooler" was simply a

"loop" of galvanized iron pile extending along the bottom of the boat.
see: http://tinyurl.com/o8vkcuh

I don't think I'd want all that hanging under my boat, making cleaning even
more of a chore than it is now!

Cheers back atcha

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson