Brian Nystrom

Default car top hull issues

zak wrote:

So...I have my new Looksha IV. I have a new Thule rack system with the
hull raiser attachments. However, I'm having some hull issues. I
thought by getting the hull raiser and having the kayaks wieght on
it's side (strongest point) I would solve my "oilcanning" issues with
the bottom of the hull. However, when I strap it down, the bars on the
hull raiser pull into the bottom of the hull, denting it in
considerably. This bothers me A LOT. Maybe I'm strapping it down too
tight - but I really believe I cannot safely strap it down any looser.
Is my hull too soft? Will it eventually damage the hull and it's
performance (the reason I bought the Looksha)? I'm afraid to leave the
boat strapped to the car, for fear of recking my $1200 dollar
investment.
Does anyone else have these issues racking their Poly Kayaks? It's
driving me NUTS.

It's par for the course with most plastic boats. If it really bothers you,
get a pair of cradles instead.

--
Regards

Brian