Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Tablet vs gps

On 3/22/2015 9:51 PM, Califbill wrote:
"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
On 3/22/2015 5:52 PM, wrote:
lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with
apps. Any opinions?

You got me curious, so I looked up a chartplotter for an iPad (since I happen to have one).

This one is running Navionics. People seem to be impressed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9gJ4mo9BE

My chart plotter /sonar is much better than running an iPad on the boat.
Mounts to the dash, water proof. Has connections to run to a MMSI radio,
etc. I think the iPad wifi, no phone does not have a GPS built in. So
another connection.

The iPad I have has a GPS built in. As the guy in the video explained
it will receive the GPS signal and work with Navionics even if you don't
have a 3G connection or have it shut off. That's how I understood what
he said.

I am going to look into it further. Might finally have a use for the
iPad. For the boat I'll be interested in the iPad doesn't need to be
waterproof.