Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Tablet vs gps

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:07:12 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/22/2015 5:52 PM, wrote:
lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with apps. Any opinions?

You got me curious, so I looked up a chartplotter for an iPad (since I
happen to have one).

This one is running Navionics. People seem to be impressed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9gJ4mo9BE

===

I have Navionics on two different smart phones. It's a decent
charting app and a good value - all the charts for the US, Bahamas and
Caribbean for about $15. For my lap top I still prefer OpenCPN
however. It's much better for laying out courses in advance and then
following them underway.

On our Searay and in the dinghy I put a smartphone in a ziploc baggie
and use Navionics. The smartphone does not even need to be
enabled/registred if you download the charts in advance with a wifi
connection.