Rick

Default Paddle leashes

"akasharkbow" wrote in message
s.com...
I know that this has been talked about before but I am wondering what
people think about paddle leashes. I am not a big fan of them as I worry
about getting tangled in it. Practising my reentry, I noticed that my
paddle was floating away.

Does any teather their paddle after they are out and about? I haven't

tried
it but you would think that most people who get tangled up would be in the
process of getting out. Maybe if a system was set up so that if you had to
wet exit you could get out and then clip in leaving you to do other

things?

Cheers,

David,

The great things about tools, they have multiple applcations:

I am going on another trip with the scouts next week (3 days down the Sac
River out of Red Bluff - mostly flat water, some class II). I was looing for
a simple method of trailing a lure and did the following:

attached leash to boat
drilled a 1" hole through a PVC drain pipe (type used under kitchen sink)
looped a bungee cord through the PVC and attached same to deck cords (pulled
very tight)
put the rod handle into the PVC pipe
used a paddle leash to attach rod to boat (remove reel, slide loop up above
reel, reattach reel)

The rod tip goes comfortably under my right arm at boat height and does not
interfere with paddling
I can roll without losing the rod
I can troll or remove rod for casting
Rod can be stowed in seconds without damage

Mostly, however, leashes are a mixed blessing. Useful when practicing exits,
etc. or when novices may not be trusted to manage their paddle, but
generally, not to be trusted in moving water. They do not cause problems in
most situations, you can even roll with one attached, but if the water is
moving and has objects that can snag the leash, they can be bad news indeed.

Rick

PS: On this trip, my paddle floats will serve as pillows and as padding for
items that need to be wedged tightly against the hull. I so rarely get to
use these, except when playing around, it is nice to find applications for
equipment I bought and have used lightly.