two_k2003

Default NY State Parks Kayak Permits

John Fereira wrote in message
I assume that you mean Taughannock State Park.

- No, that's a different Park. I meant the park as it is spelled
which is in the mid Hudson Valley near the border of Columbia and
Dutchess Counties.

The spelling you used is interesting however. According to the park

web site:
The name "Taughannock" originates either from that of the Delaware

Indian
chief Taughannock or as the Delaware word taghkanic ("great fall in the
woods").

That may be Joe, but the lake (and state park) is as I spelled it.
It's access point is right off the Taconic State Parkway (yet another
spelling...to add further confusion).

NY State doesn't require any sort of registration or decals for kayaks or
canoes so all this is news to me. I just got off the phone with someone
from the Taughannock Park office and she told me that they do *not* charge a
launch fee for canoes and kayaks out of the park. I'm sure they'd be very
interested to know if someone you encountered at the park took $30 from you.

They most certainly DO charge.....there (at least).
I spoke with Park Director, Mr. Stuffleman (or at least that's the
name he gave). The permits/decals are purchased at the main station
on the beach itself.

As I said, I paddle on the
lake several times a week and know a lot of other people that do as well and
have never heard any of them complaining about having to pay to paddle on
the lake.

Well, that's good news to hear, Joe. I'm glad to hear that it's not
happening everywhere.

For further evidence of the park that DOES charge, please visit this
site:
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/cgi-bin/...parks.cgi?p+77

Feel free to call: (518) 851-3631 and inquire as to what they charge
put in a kayak, and voice your opinion!

Thanks for the information, Joe. I think it's time for me to head
west!
Your neck of the woods seems to be the place to go!

TwoK