Keyser Söze Keyser Söze is offline

Default Helping Greg Move to the 20th Century...

On 3/15/15 2:26 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 01:19:17 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 17:55:13 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

http://makeuseof.tradepub.com/free/w_wile155/prgm.cgi

FREE book on Windoze 8. Computer to run it, extra.

===

Just for your obviously lacking information, Windows 8 generally
sucks.

Windows 7 is the good one.

Nobody has showed me a compelling reason to get rid of XP.

If your applications do not change, why should your computer change?

I find it amusing that harry, who normally likes to rail on about how
corporations screw consumers, falls for this planned obsolescence
scam.
They are tricking the public into throwing away perfectly good systems
and buying new ones, not getting any real productivity gain, only
pumping up the bottom line of Microsoft and the off shore hardware
manufacturers.

I know this will make harry's head explode but I just got the duty of
managing boat ramp keys and I am doing it on dBase IV, the DOS
version.
This is a pure text operation and I am consolidating data from 4
separate systems that do not talk to each other. I know of no windoze
application that would do it without massive amounts of new data
entry.

It actually felt good to dust off my old coding skills and write the
routines that were able to merge all of these formats into a single
searchable database.

I have an old Thinkpad with DOS 6,3 loaded on it and I am thinking
about putting the key application on it just for old times sake ;-)

This is a P1 100 machine with 64 meg on it and DOS runs like a scalded
dog. You can "ramdisk" all of your DASD into memory and crunching
databases really screams. These databases really only have 400 records
in one and 130 in the other so it is fast anyway.

I am also working on the interactive map application that will let you
click on a lot and get all of the data for that owner, similar to the
LEEPA..ORG property appraiser site. That will be web based so it is a
it more GUI intensive. I am still using my dBase application to
develop the data for that application, exporting it as TXT files that
the web site will access.

Wow...dBase. When I got my first IBM PC the year it came out, I used
Volkswriter as a word processor and sometime that was called, I think,
PC-File. I did graduate to a version of dBase for a while and then I
moved over to rBase on the PC. These days, I use something called
Filemaker to maintain several databases. I'm at least several versions
behind on Filemaker, though.

--
Proud to be a Liberal.