Vineet Buch

Default the results

My first boat was a Necky Looksha III, which is far tippier than a
Looksha IV. I'm not very coordinated, but I found the Looksha III
very stable after the first couple of weeks. I'd say the Looksha IV
will feel reassuringly solid once you get a little experience with it.
After upgrading to a Looksha II, the IV feels like I'm standing on
solid ground!

VB
(zak) wrote in message . com...
Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice before. I figured I'd let
you know what I thought about the boats I tried Sunday.

I tested two Current Design boats - the Storm and the Sirocco. I also
tried a Dagger Magellan (discontinued this year) and a Necky Looksha
IV.

I was a little disappointed as neither of the Current Designs fit me
well and I wasn't really impressed with either - probably because they
were a bad fit. The Storm was okay tracking, the Sirocco was all over
the place (I guess you'd call that responsive) unless I put the skeg
down.

The Dagger fit well, but there were no thigh braces. Other than that I
really liked the Magellan. It felt like it knew what I was thinking.
Tracked well, turned well. This was a used boat. Looked a bit beat up,
some deck lines were not attached, it had a rudder but was unmounted
for whatever reason (was sitting in the rear bulkhead). They wanted
$750 for it.

From researching different models, some your comments and a glowing
recommendation from an experienced kayaking guide I know - I thought
the Necky would be the boat for me. After testing it...I'm not sure.
It fit me very well snug and tight - but not confining. I know
secondary stability is the key with this boat, and I've heard I'd feel
tippy - so I was prepared for that. It did feel tippy...a little like
sitting on a ball, but other than that it seemed all right. Is this
initial stability problem something I'd get used too?

A shop nearby has a Looksh IV that he's had for a while...I'm going to
take a look at it next weekend and see if I can negotiate. I think he
wants $1120