Robyn

Default sea kayak/kayak touring classes

I am new to kayaking and have a question about classes, if anyone has
a minute to respond. I just completed a beginning sea kayaking class,
and would like to take a sea kayaking II class in a few weeks. I've
been looking around online at different outfitters and have found that
what they say they cover in first and second classes varies. The
class I took covered basic strokes, T-rescue, and self rescue (which
was invaluable and made a huge different in my level of confidence on
the water). The SK2 class with the same outfitter covers boat lean
and edging, rescue review, and basic navigation. Launching and
landing, and bracing aren't covered until the next level class. Other
outfitters seem to cover bracing in the first class and have some
other variations as well. The outfitter I'm using has locations on
both a lake and a bay.
My question (finally) for those of you with some experience, or who
may even be instructors, is, what do you think should be included in
each class level? Does it depend on location (lake, bay, etc.)?
Any other pointers in looking for instruction are also welcome.
Thanks.
Robyn