Michael Daly

Default Solo canoe speed

On 9-Jun-2004, Marsh Jones wrote:

knots =(1.3*((SQRT)LWL)) which means that a 16' boat can go about
5.2Knots regardless of how much power you put to it. (Unless you can
pop it over the bow wave and get it planing).

[...]
In context, I did note that the 1.3 number was for displacement sailboat
hulls. From what I observe, there probably is still a similar number at
which the hockey stick of power kicks in.

Well it was a bit misleading - I don't see too many 16' displacement sailboats*.
Hence I assumed you meant a canoe.

Mike
*I saw one from the train yesterday - an old micro-America's-cup hull
that someone's working on in their backyard.